Tuesday, June 26, 2007
The Sleeveless Tuxedo Shirt
Summer IK 2007
Yarn: Elann Lara (yuck!)
Size 3 Addi Turbos
I don't know if this yarn would be easier to work with on bigger needles, but on size 3s it was pretty dismal. I had to concentrate much too hard on the stockinette, and as for the lace panels, my teeny tiny crochet hook saved my life on the decrease stitches, especially p2togtbl, of which there are quite a few. I think I have enough yarn left to make a baby item of some kind, but I'll probably give myself a break for a while.
This knit was a bit of a gut effort, but I don't think it would have been if it weren't for the yarn. There is a lot of crochet involved, and not being too adept at crochet, it slowed me down a bit... but again here, so did the yarn. It wasn't any easier to crochet than it was to knit.
Oh yeah, and I did a lot of the crochet wrong. I discovered it too late, after then ends had been woven in. Fortunately, it looks cool anyway, so it didn't throw me into too much of a depression.
As for fit. I chose the correct size. Any smaller and the buttons would pop open (they many anyway, but that is due to button loop inconsistencies). This tank just doesn't strike me as a stand-alone piece. The layered look is best, I think. There's just a little wavy, bagginess around the edge of the armholes, a little narrowness between the two straps (makes me look like a scary hulky swimmer), a little curl under at the hem... it all adds up to Not Quite Right.
And yet, I'm still thrilled that I finished it. I stayed focussed, and I got it done before receiving the next IK. That's pretty good. It took less than a month.
Now, onto bigger and better fitting things! :)