Monday, June 30, 2008

Stash Contained.

If we could never buy another pair of slacks, eventually we'd stop gaining weight for fear of having to run around to the knitting stores pantsless. Most pants will eventually stop stretching to fit an ass... agreed?

So if I didn't want my stash to grow, why was I letting it wear an elastic-waisted skirt? Or, to complete this analogy, why was I letting the yarn live in a basket with no lid? Like a muffin top, or as we call it at our house, "North Butt", the yarn was starting to overflow it's basket as I became less and less able to prevent the slide of plastic bag across plastic bag. It was becoming unseemly and unmanageable. It was going to become the butt (har har) of jokes before too long.

The solution? Get that stash a pair of pants!!

When I moved into my 2 bedroom apartment, I moved in alone. It was before Senor and I were official, and before his lease was up elsewhere, so I brought in my stuff and put it WHERE EVER just to get it out of the way. When Senor brought his stuff (significantly less stuff than I brought to the equation, I acknowledge this), it got put away on top of WHERE EVER and we called it good. It looked neat enough, we could find most everything... most of the time, and so it has never changed.

Well it needs to change now that we've both expanded our waistlines stuff-wise.

So while Senor was out of town, I did a bit of reconfiguring, a bit of furniture moving, a bit of purging (merciless merciless purging, undies with holes? Don't need those! A bunch of removable bra straps that have lost their bras? What the... 18 pairs of tights with runs? I'm not that dancer from the famous photograph...), and now the stash has a drawer... okay, two drawers in a previously under-used dresser. It has moved out of it's stretchy skirt and into a pair of skinny jeans. It cannot expand. Literally. Which means there will be some destashing going on here to make room for future purchases.

And now we don't have to look at the stash's north butt anymore.

Coming tomorrow: photos of a finished Swallowtail Shawl!

No comments: