Monday, March 29, 2010

It was Finished in Time

I began Elliott in June, 2008.



I began the cross stitch, to the best of my recollection, in January, 2009.



I finished Elliott in March, 2009.



I finished the cross stitch in March, 2010. Before his first birthday.

It's the thing I forgot that I always wanted to make for my kids someday. I just didn't remember that I always wanted to until someday was almost here.

Now he's one year old, I'm about 5 years older, and my son has an heirloom that his mother worked uncounted hours creating just for him, finishing it just in time to be a year late. But it's finished.

And because I won't be making the same mistake again, I've already started a second for hypothetical future brother or sister... because I'm pretty sure that once there are two of them there won't be time to finish things late anymore.

And because cross stitch is strangely compelling.

2 comments:

Free Range Chick said...

This looks really great. Your such a good mommy. What's the new pattern a picture of?

Senora Fuerte said...

It's more geometric. Squares containing animals and numbers and letters. More cartoony. Very cute! Much easier because it's got some graphic patterns that are predictable, so there is less checking the chart every few seconds. I'm making GREAT headway!