Thursday, March 06, 2008

Attempted Detox

Attempted... indicating a failure.

Yesterday I finished square #25. As of leaving work I needed only to bind off, which meant that upon arriving home and finding one or more packages of yarn waiting for me, I could rabidly tear open and get some new fiber on me.

There were no such packages. I began to sweat. No new yarn? No Claudia's Handpaint in Marigold? No River, Pioneer, or Watercolor? Surely there had been a mistake. I checked the empty mailbox again. Nothing. I checked in front of my neighbor's door, in case of a miss-delivery. Just a carpet cleaning flyer. I went back and stood in the middle of my living room. No new yarn. I'd have to use some of my old stuff, to which I am building a tolerance and have a difficult time getting enough to feel it anymore. A little shiver went up my back. The yarn stores are closed. I'd have to do something else.

Rather than rocking or pounding my temple into the wall while scratching invisible bug bites, I decided to do what I could... I bound off #25. I blocked 21-25. I counted my squares. 25. I counted my squares again. 25. I restacked my squares and counted. 25. So I picked up a project that's been rattling around the apartment since November. Twist. Muttering to myself cables, cables, cables, cables I sat and tried to focus on something new. I turned on this week's episode of Biggest Loser, which I hadn't watched Tuesday because I was so happy that Senor was finally home. And I knit. I knit 8 rows of the back of Twist and then I looked down... and I looked at the pattern... and I looked at the knitting... and something was different.

I blame the blanket.

I had to drop both cable panels down all 8 rows that I had knit (I refused to frog altogether). I spent the rest of the evening recabling what had taken me no more than a half an hour to do incorrectly in the first place. Shoulda frogged.

I blame the blanket. And the US Postal Service.

All I'm saying is there had better be some yarn when I get home today. I need a stash to take with me to Vegas. If I don't have stash from home when I arrive in Sin City, I could have a real problem on my hands, as I've heard there are two lovely yarn shops near the strip... I'll bet Vegas wool is harder stuff. Forget these local blends, perhaps I should just plan to get some uncut stuff there...

I blame the blanket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

silly postal service.
yes! i have read the other boleyn girl...couldn't put it down. haven't seen the movie yet, but i'll fix that soon. have you read any of her other books?

let me know if you end up picking up the luxe.

Gregorio said...

Heehee...

http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/03/photo-of-the-day-guess-what.html

Enjoy... :-)

Gregorio said...

darn it, it cut off...

Heehee...

http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/03/
photo-of-the-day-guess-what.html