Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"Senora has agreed to make a documentary about addiction...

...She does not know that she will soon face an INTERVENTION..."

My name is Senora. S-E-N-O-R-A.

My knitting has begun to take on a life of its own. It is making demands, and I am powerless to deny it. I've seen it happen before to others-- Cara's experience was well-documented from the beginning... or nearly the beginning. Pure obsession and madness of the best kind (in my opinion), and I enjoyed every last post about that mad blanket. But I never thought it would happen to me.

Now I have a mad blanket of my own, and it is time to let you all in on the madness.

It began with a knitalong last January (07) for Larissa Brown's new book, aptly called Knitalong. I knit a square for her Barn Raising Quilt. For some dumb reason, possibly having something to do with my trying to knit the square in the car on the way home from Las Vegas, I had a lot of trouble with that first square. Turns out, the pattern is totally easy when you aren't exhausted, broke, and hungover, and so I made another couple of squares way back when for what I thought could possibly someday turn into a quilt of my own...

WATCH OUT! I think this pattern is a viral infection, a lovely viral infection that delights and soothes while taking over all of your thoughts and senses. Over the course of 2007, I worked my way slowly but surely up to about 16 squares. I blocked them about 2 weeks ago...

... and then the sickness took hold. Knitting Smack. In the last two weeks I have knit 8 squares, one right after another. The last 4 were knit in the last 3 days (one thing good about alone time). I can't stop. Last night I stayed up until midnight because I was just so close to finishing square #24.

At first this quilt was to be made solely out of honest-to-goodness leftovers from actual pairs of socks. It led to the recent 3-pair-of-monkeys-in-three-weeks epidemic, which sadly didn't get much blog time (too busy knitting monkeys, duh!). But now, the sickness' demand for more sock yarn and more colors has escalated.

DANGER. I have now traded Cascade 220 for sock yarn on Ravelry. I have bought a skein of Lorna's Laces at two out of three of my LYS, one in Red Rover and one in Black Purl. Yesterday I hit eBay. You want it? You got it. My dealer. Thanks to "emtnestr" (that's her street name), I am now expecting a delivery of three skeins of Shepherd Sock in Pioneer, Watercolor, and River.

One can only imagine the carnage that will ensue when that package arrives...

Consider yourself warned. I am no longer in charge of my faculties. There will be an intervention eventually. I'm pretending not to know it's coming. Family and Friends, you will ALL have to read your "I love you this much, but you need help" letters to get me to stop!!!


Square #24
Socks that Rock- Mediumweight
Colorway: Farmhouse
Courtesy of: Krissy

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Not that I want to support a possibly damaging addiction or anything, but I think i'l post my leftover sockyarn to you this week, or you will be finished with the blanket before I finish my final sock!

Senora Fuerte said...

I knew this post would promote enabling. Ha ha ha, my scheme worked!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Knit while you can! I just talked to Senor and he is on the way to the airport, having braved snowdrifts and wet feet. Knit, Senora, knit!

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up in bloglines and believe me I know how addictive this quilt can be. My husband asked me why I was knitting while standing up the other day...