Friday, July 13, 2007

Save me, Not-Good-Enough Girl! Oh wait, Superman's Availabe? Nevermind, then.

Not all of you knew this, but I spent the last two weeks in the interview process for the position of Dance Director at my old high school. I think it was probably third on my short list of dream jobs. (First: wife, check! Second: mother, will get there soon. Third: Going home to old Chadwick.)

I didn't get it, though. I didn't really know how badly I wanted the job until now. And it's not a matter of applying elsewhere, because other schools are not my school, you know? This desire to teach dance was location specific.

So I'm having a bummer of a day. I slept until 10am just to avoid having to call my parents and tell them that I didn't get it. I found out via a "thank you for making yourself vulnerable you silly deluded girl" note in the mail, which we picked up at 10:30 last night when we got home from a party.

This is a downer of a post, I know. I suspect this is why there's never been a comic about Not-Good-Enough Girl. The superhuman ability to accept rejection isn't all that inspiring.

Oh well. Off to the yarn store to make myself feel better. I need something soft and fuzzy.

3 comments:

Peach said...

That's a major bummer.
I always feel stupid after something like that... I don't know why, but I don't handle rejection well, either.

I hope your day picks up (what's left of it) and that you find something wonderfully fuzzy and soft. :)

Gregorio said...

Bummer, indeed! Sorry to hear about that, Nat.

You know, whenever Robyn is feeling down, I qualify as her "soft and fuzzy" item that cheers her up. ... ... I'm not sure how I feel about that :-)

Lone Knitter said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get the job. I got crushed, majorly crushed, over three jobs in the past two years. I spent the whole day in bed and didn't immediatelly throw the rejection letters away. Throw it away if you haven't already. When I happened upon it again while cleaning, it hurt me all over again. Hope you're feeling better!